Thursday, April 13, 2006

Car stereo requirements

Having a new car stereo system that plays MP3 CDs is really a Nice Thing(TM). But what's odd about it, are the new requirements that come up.

It started, when I began encoding some of my favorite CDs, so I could listen to them when driving. First I did everything by hand using cdda2wav and lame. Thinking, I would be probably doing it again and again, I wrote a shell script to make it a little bit more convenient and automate the process of looking up the song title, interpret and album name and encode it into the filename and directory.

Fine, but then I thought: my machine has two processors, I could start two lame processes at once and get the songs encoded to mp3 in half the time. Looking at the Solaris board utilities, I couldn't find anything apropriate. Here was my odd requirement. So I wrote xjobs and published it under GPLv2. Get it here.

Now my shell scripts pipes its output directly to xjobs, and xjobs takes care that there are always two lame processes running. Convenient and fast.


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, that was worth noting. Steve @Car Tips

3:50 AM  
Blogger SM Blogger said...

Great post and now I know what to do, thank you! Actually this Blog post helped me a lot. I hope you continue writing about this kind of entry.

4:59 AM  
Blogger SM Blogger said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home